John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Whirlpool double oven type FCEM9 model 6AKZ167/IX. After

Customer Question

Whirlpool double oven type FCEM9 model 6AKZ167/IX. After using the bottom oven and switching it off the cooling fan runs for some time. Fine so far. Then sometimes and with increasing frequency the display goes blank,then a little while later the screen displays "stop" and I have to press reset button, reset the clock and all is well again. "stop" is usually only displayed when power is cut off. A new control panel has been fitted but has made no difference. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is the cooling fan noisy when it runs, vibrating or rattling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Kelly, I do not think it is any different to usual. Jim
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I suspect the issue lies with the cooling fan not moving enough air and allowing it to get too hot near the control. Are you able to inspect the cooling fan to see if there is a build up on the fins that may be reducing the air flow?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have taken the cover off but fan blades are fine. A bit of surface corrosion but it rubs off. Jim
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Does it seem to be moving ample air when you turn the oven on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kelly,
Yes it runs quietly too. Perhaps it is getting switched off too soon when the oven is cooling but that is surely controlled by the control panel or is there a separate thermo switch somewhere?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

It is controlled by the oven sensor and what it tells the control, so kind of both of those parts. I really think it is just not moving enough air, though, especially if the control is new. Do both fans seem to move the same amount of air?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.