Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

My GE Profile TFX25PR has thru door ice dispenser. The

Customer Question

My GE Profile TFX25PR has thru door ice dispenser. The throat continually ices up, and clogs the ice delivery 100%. Then backs up. Don't know if it's a temperature problem or a parts problem...
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It says TFX 25 PR 25.2 cu ft Profile side-by-side. Certainly over ten years old, but I'm not sure.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm pretty handy, but wouldn't want to (for example) try removing the whole panel that contains the dispenser throat.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I guess not...
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 26 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The only thing that can cause the ice chute flap and chute to freeze up like that is that the flap is not closing properly allowing outside air into the freezer and the moisture from the outside air is freezing up. Most commonly what causes that issue is a bad dispenser solenoid, the solenoid opens and closes the flap. The part is listed below but to change it out it does require the removal of the dispenser panel.

Refrigerator Dispenser Solenoid Assembly

Part #: WR62X107 - click here

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?