Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My GE refrigerator won't cool. compressor is running.

Customer Question

JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: GSHSGDBCSS About 2 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the capacitor reads 11.8 uf and it is supposed to be 12 uf. Start relay does not rattle and has continuity.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

You will need to remove the very back freezer panel and look at the frost pattern on the evaporator you should have a slight frost over the entire evaporator from the top to the bottom, if you do not and its not iced or frozen over then you have a sealed system problem , meaning either the unit has a restriction where the freon is not able to flow right in the unit or it has a leak and is low on freon or the compressor is shot even thought its running its not working properly. If the start relay was bad the compressor would not be running at all so that has nothing to do with it not cooling when its running.

*******************************************************************************

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.