Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Samsung RF267AB refrigerator. The freezer portion

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RF267AB refrigerator. The freezer portion does not cool below 3 degrees even though it is set for -2 degrees. The refrigerator portion seems to be working fine. Is there anything I can try to assess whether the compressor is gone or if it is something else?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is 8 years old and it is a RF267ABBP
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Trying to figure out what is wrong before I decide.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Tappliance has frozen up This appliance has frozen up a couple of times
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

If the refrigerator section is working properly, then set the freezer to -5 and see if that drops the temperature to 0 degrees. If so, then replace the temperature sensor (called the thermistor) because it's off set by 5 degrees or so. If you change the temperature to -5 and the unit still remains at 3 degrees, then you either have a freon leak or bad compressor. You'd need a technician to tap into the system to check the freon pressure and if you're low on freon then a freon leak repair costs about $450 or so. If you're not low on freon a new compressor would be needed which is about $650.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?