Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

We just moved and my washer wont fill up right. The water

Customer Question

We just moved and my washer wont fill up right. The water comes in , but is draining out as fast as it comes in. It did not do this before the move. I read the trouble shooter guide and it said the drain hose needed to be above the water level. the hose now goes up about 6-8 inches then angles over 2 feet to the drain. My husband says it does not make a difference, but the washer that was there started doing the same thing!
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LSR5232LQ0 type; lll 5 cycle/2speed whirlpool. at least 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends if it is something I can fix! I replaced the lid switch last year myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The water pressure is very low and I didn't know if that would affect the timing. It only does it during the rinse cycle.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The only thing that can cause that is if as you stated the drain hose for the washer is below the level of the washer or the drain itself has a vapor lock and is siphoning the water out of the tub. Try this, where the drain hose enters the drain on the home, take something that you can use as a wedge and wedge it between the drain and the drain hose so that the drain has a air gap between the drain hose and drain pipe, this will allow the drain to breathe and should stop that from occurring. If that does not work you will need to have a plumber look at it. The machine is not at fault here.

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.