Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kitchen Aid Refrigerator Model #KSSC48FJS00 Serial

Customer Question

HI, I have a Kitchen Aid Refrigerator Model #KSSC48FJS00
Serial # QK4000358.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I am having a problem where the unit is not cooling. The freezer feels cold at the bottom, however the ice maker and the top is warm and the ice maker is not working . Ther refrigerator side is only slightly cool. Can you please help me diagnose the problem ?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 30 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 30 days ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
thank you for you help. i am having a hard time getting the screws out. looks like i may have to call a repair person after all :( was trying to this myself
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 30 days ago.

Aye, unfortunately taking the unit apart can prove difficult sometimes. But it sounds like your air isn't circulating for some reason. Either the fan is just bad and it's not running, or possibly you have a defrost issue and too much frost has built up. Without removing the back panel you wouldn't be able to fix the unit or see which one is your issue however which is why that's your first step.