Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Freezer temp. going up for no reason

Customer Question

Freezer temp. going up for no reason
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Is the compressor and fans running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Compressor running, all fans are running.
Tested 4 thermistors and defrost heater. Main board was replaced with OEM one. All voltages and ohm are checked on new main board.
Also did self diagnostic - all passed except 0-3 failed, but I don't think it's related with freezer temp. going up.

What does the frost pattern on the evaporator look like?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's freezing up and builds up frost. Adaptive defrost sometimes doesn't work, but if I turn heater on manually it works fine.
Is there any way to test the temp. Control regulator other than self diagnostic?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does the temp. control regulator affect the adaptive defrost system?

Does it build too much frost? if so check the evaporator thermister that is the one that usually causes the issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked before and l checked it just now. 15.99 k ohm in water with ice.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

How much frost is it building? can you take a pic of it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Refrigerator was unplugged for half an hour. Frost builds up a lot except top evaporator coils where termistor hook up.

Looks low on freon. Also you have had the panel on when running it correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I took evaporator panel off couple days ago while trying to fix refrigerator.
The problem starts with my old main board - sometimes freezer temp. went up - evaporator had a lot frost (panel was in place) and temp. in freezer started to go up and then in refrigerator too, after checking termistors, heater, fans l replaced the main board. Worked fine for about 2 weeks but then it started to have the same problem again.
I didn't completely fill up my refrigerator with groceries and didn't completely empty it.

Was the whole evaporator frosted or just a part of it with the rest bare aluminum?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the freeon pressure supposed to be? Where should I connect bullet piercing valve to check and charge system? Can you show me in the picture below?

Should be 0-10PSIG put the piercing valve on that shot copper line that is crimped off

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Still have issues. The fridge worked fine for two days. Then the freezer temperature came up to 15degrees and has been holding there for three days now. The fridge temperature is the recommended 37 degrees.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.