John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I CAN'T CLOSE THE BOTTOM PART OF THE OVEN WHERE WE HOLD SOME

Customer Question

i CAN'T CLOSE THE BOTTOM PART OF THE OVEN WHERE WE HOLD SOME PANS
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: iT IS ABOUT 11 YEARS OLD (KENMORE) iT HAs two rails and the left rai won;t allow it o be closed.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was trying.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I would like to know how to get that sliding rail to allow the tray to close.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.
Please provide me with the model number of the unit you are needing help with so that I can give you model specific information, as soon as I get that information I will get your answer prepared as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The stove is about 11 years old and I don't know the model number
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there are two small handles sticking out on each side of the tray. Thew move up and down, but the right doesn't move and it is the left side that stops the tray from going in.

sorry without a model it will be hard for me to help you , I will opt out maybe another tech will know this model off hand, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
where do i find the model number ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will wait for the next technician. Thanks and goodbye.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

You can typically find the model number located on the inside of the door panel. Can you check there for me please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Model No C970-658922
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK I will be out for awhile. Thank you
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Is there possibly something behind it that has fallen? Has the rollers that sit on the rails come off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It appears that the left arm that holds the tray has come out too far and can't return. In fact, when we pull the tray out we can see the end of the left arm. The right arm does not come out all the way. We did have something that fell behind that was stopping the tray from going back. We got that out but, my wife pulled the tray out too far and this has caused the left arm unable to get back on the track. That is the best way I can explain the situation.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Have you tried taking the entire bottom unit out and seeing if there are any screws on it that can be tightened up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I take the entire bottom unit out. The bottom unit is stuck from coming out an unable to return.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are two levers one on each side, I can move the left one up and down but, the right won;t move at all.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

I have your diagram pulled up now give me a moment to look it over for this info.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hmmm the model number you gave me opens for a dryer?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Are you able to visually see in there when you move the left levers?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can see the levers.. They are on each side of the tray beside the tray. The right one is just below the plate with the Model No. on the stove not a dryer, The left lever is on the left side of the tray at the same level, sticking out about. 1 inch with a small knob on the end. There is three hole setting on each one which is sitting vertically. The hole at the bottom is a little larger than the two on top. If i could draw it for you. It would like a picture of a snow man. Head middle and bottom.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The levers are actually on the front part of the stove. When the tray is closed, it would appear that they would fit into the white frame of the front door and would be hidden once the tray is closed.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

and so its not going into the levers?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
C970-658922 Ser No NF03205846The levers are adjustable up and down. The larger hole is at the bottom and the lever can be moved slightly right, The left lever moves about 1 inch up and down. The right lever doesn't move. It appears to be stuck.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

it sounds like the lever either needs oiled to move or is broken adn will need replaced. You can find the parts at sears

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

I was wondering how everything was going?