Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My sub zero does not cool on the refrigerator side. Tech

Customer Question

my sub zero does not cool on the refrigerator side. Tech said cooling coil is leaking freon. Can I replace this without replacing the compressor and how much to replace. i have a 561 thats 18 years old.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 18 years, model M1386304
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Selling house so just want to get it cooling again
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

If the unit is low on freon you wouldn't be able to replace it yourself because it requires a license to work on a sealed system this large. That being said if it leaked out once it will likely leak out again without a dye drier installed to determine where the leak is coming from. The cost of having a technician repair and recharge your system leak is usually about $450-600 or so depending on exactly where it's leaking from.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.