Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am trying to remove the doors from my refrigerator. I have

Customer Question

I am trying to remove the doors from my refrigerator. I have a whirlpool gold GB22DKXJB01, with inside ice maker. I have to get it thru a small door width.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 16 years old. Whirlpool Gold GB22DKXJB01
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think I can take the top door off, but I think I should do it from the bottom. I am having a hard time removing the bolt on the very bottom of the door. Not sure if I should start from top or bottom.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Removing the doors is fairly straight forward, but you need to remove the hinges to start. You'll first use a flat head screwdriver to pry on the top plastic cover covering the top refrigerator door hinge. Remove this cover to expose the screws going into the top door hinge. Open the door and remove all the food on the door. Next, remove these screws going into the top door hinge and the door hinge can be removed. The refrigerator door can then pull straight up and off. Next, work on the lower hinges and then the freezer door etc...

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you start from the top and not the bottom? Won't the door fall forward from the top?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Yes, definitely start from the top. If the door is closed when removing the hinge then you just pull the hinge off and hold the door shut and it shouldn't fall.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?