Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Samsung refrigerator is making terrible sounds! It goes

Customer Question

My Samsung refrigerator is making terrible sounds! It goes off when u open the doors but returns. I have a recording if u have an email to send it to.
My names is Robert Reynolds and my fridge is model RF263BEAESR/AA
It's a side by side French door.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

That noise you're hearing is the evaporator fan motor hitting ice or frost build up inside the refrigerator. The fan stops when you open the door which is why the noise goes away. This is actually a very common issue with your refrigerator. If you look at part number 97 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

Now if you remove this panel and the drain is not clogged but you find the silver coils completely packed with frost, you actually have a defrost issue and you'll need to thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer and likely replace the defrost temperature sensor. The defrost sensor is the little plastic 1" sensor mounted to the top of the silver evaporator coils.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.