Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I had my kitchenaid refrigerator in storage for about 9

Customer Question

I had my kitchenaid refrigerator in storage for about 9 months. i brought it in my home and added a new filter to the water/ice maker then hooked it up to the refrigerator hose. as soon as i turned the water on a bunch of water ran from under the refrigerator, what should i do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is about 10 years old, it is black with chrome front
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, it is in good condition. just wondering if something plastic might have cracked underneith?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

First, make sure your water supply line from your house was connected to the correct part. Other than that if you see it leaking, pull the refrigerator forward, remove the lower back access panel, and turn the water line on. See exactly where the water is leaking from. Most likely a water line broke, or the filter receptacle, or the water valve itself cracked from freezing temperatures when in storage or just from moving the unit around. Either way, the leak should be very obvious with the lower back panel removed when you turn the water one. If it's just a broken water line that can be cut and spliced. If it's coming from the plastic electronic water valve or the filter housing then that part would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.