John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I purchased an under counter Bosch Dishwasher

Customer Question

I purchased an under counter Bosch Dishwasher Model#SHS5AVF2UC/01 Serial #FD950800547 from Lowe's in Wetumpka, Alabama 36092 on 02/09/2016. The dishwasher was highly rated by Consumer Reports. It is extremely quiet and does an excellent job of cleaning the dishes. However, it does not rinse them well, leaving soap residue on all items especially the glasses. We used the wash/rinse products that came with the machine and found that they were no better at removing soap on final rinse than the commercially available products that we had been using. We tried drastically reducing the amount of detergent used but that had little to no effect. We now have to hand rinse each item coming out of the machine before we can use it. I have double checked the installation to ensure that the drain hose was properly routed up to the bottom of the cabinet and then back down to the disposal inlet with no kinks. The machine is level (front to back) and plumb. During the pump cycle, the water is rapidly discharged into the drain until machine is empty. But alas, at the end of the wash cycle, glasses will still foam when filled with tap water. HELP!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I listed the exact model number and purchase date on my original message above.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: That depends on what "the work" consists of.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have mechanical and electrical skills and am not afraid to get my hands dirty.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 29 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Have you used and commercial (store Bought ) Dishwasher cleaner?

Sorry Have you used any cleaner?

Are you there?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I am here but have not used a commercial dishwasher cleaner since the problem has existed since the new dishwasher was installed.

So this has been happening from Day 1 ?

And what brand of dish washing detergent do you use?

And do you run the HOT water at the sink each time before running the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
from day 1 which was Feb 9, 2016. We use Cascade liquid but do not run hot water in the sink prior to using dishwasher. To my knowledge, there were no instructions from Bosch to do so. Again, we used the detergent/rinse that came with the dishwasher before switching to Cascade but had the same results.

ok if you do not run the HOT water before you run the dishwasher ,then the unit fills with cold to room temperature water. not hot water .

and that non hot water will not properly dissolve the detergent .

which means even though it drains all the water out the non dissolved detergent is through out the dishwasher and then in the rinse cycle since it has now run more water it will be hotter entering the unit and then dissolve the detergent in the rinse cycle of the unit

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Is there no water heater built into the dishwasher and does it therefore rely on the temp of the hot water coming from the sink connection which takes a minute or so to warm up?

the water is only heated if you use a water heating option , it is not heated every time you use the dishwasher.

And when you do select a heated option the dishwasher runs while heating and the heater normally heats the interior water approx 1 degree a min.

So if it needs to raise the water temp say 20 min it will cause the unit to run for an extra 20 min

As for the cleaner I recommend to run a cleaner throu it every 6 months .

I recommend Finnish to my customers.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I assume you meant needed to raise the water temp 20 degrees rather than 20 min. Makes sense that it will take some time to heat up. I would like to try running the hot water at the sink to insure that the dishwasher is receiving preheated water. Then run a load of dishes to see if they still have soap on/in the glasses. The machine runs over an hour each time we use it. I would need to run a trial load and get back to you. Is that possible?

Yes 20 degree =20 min run time

sure just reply back later .

Save the conversation URL and reply back then