Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

GE TCX18 Freezer good. Upper compartment warm. Not sure how

Customer Question

Freezer good.
Upper compartment warm.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Not sure how old.
Believe profile model.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yeah
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm heating & ac trained, so I am knowledgeable in testing parts.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Alright on this model the refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer section. The freezer section is working which means that something is blocking the air form going up to the refrigerator from the freezer. Now the cooling unit is located in the floor inside the refrigerator. You'll need to pull everything out of the refrigerator section and then work on removing the floor inside the refrigerator. Parts 2 and 15 will need to come out as well as the styrofoam below the floor on the diagram in the link below.

CLICK HERE for diagram

Now toward the back below the floor is a fan motor. If the fan motor isn't running either it needs to be replaced or it's blocked by ice because the drain has backed up. If the funnel below the fan blade is filled with ice, thaw it out with a hair dryer, pull the refrigerator forward, remove the drain line coming out the back of the unit and thaw flush the hose out with a garden hose to make sure it's all clear.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 30 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?