Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

We have a Samsung RS261mDRS that beeps 3 times every 3

Customer Question

We have a Samsung RS261mDRS that beeps 3 times every 3 minutes. How do we stop it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1 day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on the complexity of the solution. Simple solution ... I'm on it. Complicated ... I'm calling someone.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This fridge sux
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: 3.5 years
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you. Give me just a moment to pull up some information for you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Typically when Samsung's beep its because there is a temp problem? Is there anything going on with the temp?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that we can tell. It is 3 beeps exactly 3 minutes apart. 4 or 5 months ago, the door was not closing properly (it would not seal, and the door would be opened slightly) so we had a company come out to repair. They said that nothing seemed to be significantly wrong with it but they made some adjustments to one of the hinges. Its 3.5 years old.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Ok so that is what the issue is. Since the door is slightly ajar its not letting the fridge get stay the correct temperature or its beeping to let you know the door is ajar. So lets see what we can do to try and fix this error. can you check the hinges on the door that is not sealing properly and make sure they are tight? Also look around the seal of the door and let me know what you see?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The door is sealed, or seems to be. When I said that the door wasn't closing properly, I meant that was occurring 4 or 5 moths ago when the technician came out and resolved. All appears OK, but this frickin beeping is driving us NUTS!
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Ok I thought you were saying it wasnt sealing. So what are the temps in your unit right now?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

If the temperatures are fine in your fridge then the problem is with the control board itself. You will need to replace it.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

This is the part that will need to be ordered.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Besides just general feel, how do I check the temp? I know I can place a thermometer in there, but is there a way on the fridge that will give me that? Also, how difficult is it to change out the control board?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

The control board is really not difficult to change out its pretty much just taking out and hooking up. The fact is nothing is freezing or defrosting in the fridge nothing feels off then chances are your temp is fine and its just the control board that will need to be fixed.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I do hope you have found this information helpful and are willing to rate with 5 stars at the top. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you still need my assistance. Hopefully you get that control board replaced quickly and no longer have to deal with that nerve wrecking beeping.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything else that you need?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Have you figured anything else out?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got it resolved and am embarrassed at what the beeping was ... a low-battery warning on a cell phone in the drawer right next to the fridge. :) Thanks.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Oh my goodness. Well no need to be embarrassed we all have had our moments. I am certainly glad to hear it was a dying phone battery as opposed to a dying fridge. Glad the mystery was solved. Enjoy your day and I am happy you no longer have to deal with the beeping :)