Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag frig Model MBF2258XEQ1 that has a drain near

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a Maytag frig Model MBF2258XEQ1 that has a drain near the back of the unit on the bottom near the back. The drain hole freezes over about once per week and then water pools and freezes across the bottom of the unit. That eventually melts and drains out onto the floor.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model # MBF2258XEQ1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what's required but yes, hopefully.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'd like to find out if there's been any recalls on that unit as it is a very poor design.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So it sounds like you're on the right track. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?