Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a KA refrigerator- Mod. KTKS21KDALO2, Serial #

Customer Question

I have a KA refrigerator- Mod. KTKS21KDALO2, Serial # EE4225400, Type: C21TFA95.
The Freezer works, but the Frig section is not cooling. The Fridge Light is out and not Cooling. Can you advise (if) "The cooling" sensor is available to replace that part? The Fan is blowing , but not cooling the fridge section. Are directions available to replace the cooling sensor? Please advise.
Regards, ***** 1484(###) ###-#### e-mail: ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So first, the fridge light being out has nothing to do with the refrigerator not cooling. Either your bulb is bad or the light switch is bad---that's not on the same electrical circuit with the cooling components whatsoever. The power comes directly form the cord that powers the entire unit from your house so because the fan inside the freezer is working and the freezer is cooling---you know it's getting power.

As for the refrigerator not cooling, the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

If the fan above the silver coils is not running---replace the fan.

If the coils are completely packed with frost, you have a defrost issue. You'll need to thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer and check the resistance through the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils as well as check continuity through the defrost thermostat which is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part DOES NOT have continuity then it needs to be replaced. You'll need a multimeter to test continuity.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.