Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

I have a samsung french door fridge RF197ACRS/XAC that the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a samsung french door fridge RF197ACRS/XAC that the fridge evaporator fan isn't turning and I have ice maker sensor error code flashing on the display. I don't have an ice maker on my fridge. It started with the fridge evaporator freezing up and the evaporator fan made a huge noise hitting the ice. When I got home, the fan had stopped. I defrosted everything and fan still didnt turn. So I replaced the fan, defrost sensor, defrost element w/thermostat and thermal fuse.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: RF197ACRS/XAC
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think I covered it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you. Give me just a moment to locate some information for you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Just so I am clear after replacing the evaporator fan it still doesn't run? I am wondering if this is a problem with the compressor or compressor relay then?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Compressor and condenser fan run fine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the fridge evaporator fan still doesn't run even after replacing it and the other mentioned components
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Ok that is good so what it sounds like to me is there is a problem with the control panel. That is why you are receiving the error. Is the control board working at all when you touch it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I get the flashing error code for ice maker sensor as soon as I plug it in. The control panel isn't responsive until I hold down power freeze and power cool to put it into self diagnostics. Then the display comes up as normal with no error codes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But the fan still doesn't run. And as soon as I unplug it and plug it back in, the ice maker sensor error code comes up again. If I don't do anything after plugging it in, I will also get the error code for the fridge evaporator fan in about 5 min.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried checking where you installed the fan to make sure that its put in correctly. I am not trying to say you don't know what you are doing it just makes no sense to not be running unless the main board / control panel has gone out on you. It doesn't always just not come on the fact its not really responding to anything tells me something may be wrong with it. I just want to rule out everything else before jumping to the control board.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked it. I also removed it and reinstalled it several times. It is a 4 way plug with 3 wires in it that can only be plugged in one way.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Ok I just wanted to double check is all. So what your problem is you are going to have to replace the control board.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Wait a minute I just found something else that it could be which would cause the fan not to run as well

The thermistor monitors the refrigerator temperature and sends the temperature reading to the control board. The control board then regulates power to the compressor and evaporator fan based on the thermistor readings. If the thermistor is defective, the compressor and evaporator fan may not run when necessary, or may run too frequently. To determine if the thermistor is defective, test it with a multimeter. The thermistor resistance should change in conjunction with the refrigerator temperature. If the thermistor resistance does not change, or the thermistor does not have continuity, replace the thermistor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is my conclusion as well. But what I need help with is testing it. I have the wiring diagram and a layout of the control board. How am I able to test it to ensure that is what it is?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tested the themistor and it tested fine but I also replaced it just in case
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Give me just a moment to try and locate a manual for you. The thing is honestly you can not check the control board there is no way to tell if its working or not its a ruling out thing honestly. I can get you the diagrams though possibly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is what I already have
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

so unfortunately there is nothing beyond that wiring diagram. Its dry to find a way to trouble shoot a control panel because honestly in my years of doing this trying to test it never works out anyway. You will just have to replace it in order to figure out if that was the defective part and although I know for sure that is what you will find I am unable to locate a diagram to help you test it. If you would like I can opt out and see if someone else has any ideas on the diagram for this all I ask is you please do not rate me negatively because I have been attempting to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If someone else can help, that would be good.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.