Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

HbL645 oven. The convection only works when the door is

Customer Question

HbL645 oven. The convection only works when the door is open. I tried changing the Selector Switch, but that didn't help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to try and assist you today. When you say its not working what exactly do you mean? Its not heating up or what is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the fan doesn't go on, when the door is closed; it goes on when you open the door. The heating element is working, apparently. My wife recalls hearing a pop, when it started malfunctioning
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Ok so when it comes to the fan not coming on there are a few things that could be causing this problem. I personally since she heard a pop would say its going to be the high limit thermostat is the problem and will need to be replaced. There is the possibility of the board but I would lean more towards the thermostat just because of the pop she heard.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Understood. I will order the high limit. Is that located in the back of the oven? Also, I just noticed that the Resistor Cooling fan (#420238) has a small sliver of it cracked off, and one of its terminals is very, very loose because of the missing sliver. (Jiggling it didn't turn on the fan). Could that be part of my problem?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Yes that very well could be part of the problem. When things are not connected right or missing parts it can shut everything down. Yes the high limit thermostat will be located in the back .

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

If you have found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you still need me.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Unfortunately, the problem persists, despite having the board fixed, replacing the high limit thermostat and resistor cooling fan. The convection fan only goes on when the oven door is open
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What I meant was that the board is unavailable, so I sent it to a reconditioning place that took $130 (but didn't tell me what they did)
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 21 days ago.

I cant understand why it would not be working after replacing those parts so I will open this up to other experts to see if they may have any other ideas.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I didn't here from anybody. Could it be a problem with the switch near the door hinge?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 17 days ago.

That is a possibility. I am sorry nobody else tried to pick this up.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 16 days ago.

Hello again Michael i wanted to follow up with you to see how everything going if you had figured out anything new?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Nothing new - I was waiting for another solution from you before I did anything. I've spent close to $200 on the wrong parts, so I'm hoping you can ultimately help me
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 14 days ago.

Have you tried looking at all the wires in your unit to make sure there is nothing disconnected or burnt or anything? I mean at this point the control board has been fixed. The selector switch which should have honestly been the problem has been replaced. and all other parts that can cause this issue. The only other thing I can think of is either a wire is not connected or has burnt out or the new selector switch was faulty when you got it. Other than that there is not one other thing I can think of that would cause this issue.