Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

I have a Kenmore Elite electric double oven(790.48189000).

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite electric double oven(790.48189000). The lower oven works fine but the upper oven will not maintain the temp I set it at even though the temp indicator continues to show the temp I set it at. For example after the temp gets to 350, a few minutes later the actual temp is 310 or less. The oven works fine on the broil setting. I replaced the oven temp sensor but this did not help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The temperature is controlled by the sensor that you replace sending a signal in the form of an electrical resistance to the main control. As the heat increases (or decreases), that resistance changes and is interpreted by the control. If the sensor is new, the control may be having issues interpreting the resistance correctly or there is a problem in the wiring harness/connections that is causing a higher resistance by the time the signal gets to the control. Do you have a meter to test the resistance of the sensor right at the control so that you read through all the wiring and connections?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a multimeter; where is the control?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The control is mounted behind the front control panel. The P6 connector is the one for the sensors. Test between P6 pins 1 & 2 and between pins 3 & 4 with the connector unplugged. At room temperature, it should read about 1080 ohms of resistance. Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I can't figure out how to access the control panel
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 28 days ago.

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

To gain access to the main control board the unit will need to be unmounted from the cabinet and slide out 6-8 inches so you can remove the top cover then you will have access to the rear of the control board .

here is a picture of the parts break down the cover I speak of is item #2b and the control board is item#20

if you have any questions just let me know.