John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I also have a 30" Caloric J070 natural gas range/oven and

Customer Question

I also have a 30" Caloric J070 natural gas range/oven and although the burners work fine, and the oven pilot works fine, the oven no longer turns on. (It wasn't used for a number of years.) advice appreciated!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

If you watch the pilot flame when the thermostat is turned on, does it get bigger or stay the same size?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Kelly, it doesn't change at all when I attempt to turn the oven on.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Okay, so that tells us that the issue is likely with the thermostat, not the oven valve. If you turn the thermostat on and tap the pilot area with a screwdriver, does the flame still stay small?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Kelly, yes the pilot flame doesn't change at all when I bang on it with a screwdriver. Also: there is no hissing sound. (But when I turn on one of the stovetop burners I hear a distinct hissing sound.)
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you! We need to find you a new thermostat. Of course, the original one is no longer available, so we may need to look at a universal one. Are you comfortable making some modifications and working with gas?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've worked with gas before & have technical/plumbing skills.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Excellent! Can you post a picture of the thermostat you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not sure how to reveal the thermostat. I'm removing the top of the stove and unscrewing the escutcheon
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Once the top is raised, there should be screws to remove the control cover panel.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not sure how to reveal the thermostat. I'm removing the top of the stove and unscrewing the escutcheon — the escutcheon is frozen on. The thermostat/control is released and moving freely (those two Phillips screws are out, but is captive under the escutcheon.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Are there screws under the panel, above the oven opening?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You see in the photo that there is a screwhead - but it was corroded or covered in "gunk" — used a knife but could not reveal the Phillips head or hex-key slot!!! Still trying.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Yeah, they can be difficult to get off after being in place for so long.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
However I am now able to read markings on the cast aluminum body of the thermostat/control. It reads "ITT Controls and Instruments; Electrical Rating 500 mV"
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Any other markings? Did you find the model you originally posted on a tag with the serial number or is there another tag under the main top with another model number on it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alas, no other markings inside or under any components or cavities that have been revealed.There must be a solenoid and electronics controlled by that ITT thermostat/control. I fear that we don't know whether the thermostat/control, or the solenoid, is faulty. But it could also be something as simple as 110 VAC failing to reach the control electronics. I will have to check the house wiring too. No reason to suspect, but you never know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Any other model number markings that I can help use to get an idea of the co0ntrol system used?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alas, no other markings inside or under any components or cavities that have been revealed.There must be a solenoid and electronics controlled by that ITT thermostat/control. I fear that we don't know whether the thermostat/control, or the solenoid, is faulty. But it could also be something as simple as 110 VAC failing to reach the control electronics. I will have to check the house wiring too. No reason to suspect, but you never know.I went down to the basement and located the electrical cable to the service panel. An electrical box is open (not properly covered) directly under the oven. I'm going to have to return next week (this is my mother's home now; we've been here 52 years) with a multimeter.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I understand, thank you. Let me know what you find. Have a great rest of your weekend!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. This was a very good experience.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I appreciate that, thank you! We will work through this until we get to a solution!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You have a great rest-of-weekend too!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Kelly
I brought a multimeter (and a portable light) and verified that 120 VAC is being supplied to the Caloric ocen
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Kelly
I brought a multimeter (and a portable light) and verified that 120 VAC is being supplied to the Caloric oven.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

So the thermostat is likely faulty then. Any more numbers seen on it at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No - I'll either have to use penetrating oil or a Dremel Tool to remove the escutcheon - next time I'm there.Couldn't it be an electronic control module, or a step down transformer located behind or under the oven itself?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Without knowing what control system it has, I can't tell you much of anything.