Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My Frigidaire does not maintain freezer temp. fridge is ok,

Customer Question

my Frigidaire does not maintain freezer temp. fridge is ok, though.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: GSHF6RGZBCBB. i just bought the house and the fridge was here so i don't know how old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if its an easy fix
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.
  1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
  3. Can you please double check that model number?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a fan is running in the freezer and there is frost on the back wall inside the freezer. model # is GSHF6RGZBCBB
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

That frost is the reason the cooling is not well in the freezer.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Do you think the door may have been left open for an extended period to allow the frost to build?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
possibly, yes. however, it appears the door isn't shutting properly. the fridge creates a suction seal when I close it while the freezer does not. the freezer door isn't flush with the fridge door.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

That is probably allowing warm air into the cabinet. Does the door appear to be lower or sticking out at the front?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sticking out slightly at the front.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If you lift it slightly and close it, does it close better?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i'm able to lift the door and close it, but the front of the door still won't sit flush with the front of the fridge door. i can see when looking down at the seal from the top of the fridge, that the fridge seal is slightly flattened(I assume from a suction on the fridge), yet the seal on the freezer door doesn't change width(eg. seal isn't sucked in). sorry for the dumbass terminology, but it's the best I can come up with to describe what I'm seeing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Does it appear that the seal may just be flattened or does the door appear to be "sprung" and not aligned?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
both seals(fridge door and freezer door) are the same width when doors are open. yet when I shut both doors, the seal on the fridge door is slightly thinner than the freezer door(does not change width)
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I would use a hair dryer to heat the gaskets with until they conform to a perfect seal. Then, leave the door closed and undisturbed for an hour and I suspect the seal will improve. As for the frost, you can remove the rear panel from inside the freezer to thaw it manually and at the same times inspect the defrost heater. Or, you can leave the doors open for 24 hours and let it thaw naturally. Once it has thawed, proper cooling will resume. If it frosts up again, you likely have a faulty heater. Are you wanting to manually thaw it and inspect the heater at this time or thaw naturally?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll let it thaw naturally. thanks for you help today!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good! Please let me know if it gives you any more trouble., Have a great rest of your weekend!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!