Jamie_2013
Jamie_2013, Handyman
Experience:  worked on appliances for around 6 years
76126576

I have a Maytag MDE4000AYE that hums when I press the start

Customer Question

I have a Maytag MDE4000AYE that hums when I press the start button. Door light works so there is power. Checked and 240 at wall. Checked thermal fuses2 and they seem ok. Replaced motor, arrrrrg. So any suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maytag Neptune, 14 year old about. Matter of principal challenge.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes have been so far......
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Believe start button worts as it passes power to motor causing hummmm, but does not start, have spun drum both ways and believe all parts are back as they should be, was fairly easy.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jamie_2013 replied 2 months ago.

Either the start switch or timer is at fault. The start switch is no longer available unless you find it on ebay or somewhere like that.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 3 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did a start button check but need to know if continuity check tells me anything. When checking digital readout goes from reading "1" to a very small .06 reading but I have to continually hold button down. Not sure that tells me anything, does it?
Selection timer sound like it works properly. Clicks through any and all cycle positions and I hear the timer running(clock sound). Have tried all position selections and motor does not start.

The switch should have continuity correct.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure how that should present itself. I push the button as if starting machine (one time for a second or so) and continuity reading would or should be what? Or do I hold button down and get reading then?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible to jumper bypass start switch to see if that is the problem?

A reading of continuity means that the circuit is open. When you touch the two probes together, the reading changes to zero. A reading of zero indicates that the circuit is closed or complete. A complete circuit is one that can conduct electricity. No bypassing the switch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just tried the start button again, held it for several seconds and the door is off. I held the door switch closed also and drum tries to move although slowly but it moves. Does that tell us anything?

Still the start switch or timer. I would replace the start switch first.

I see this question is still open. Do you need more help?

Please remember to use the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 3 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Purchased a start button on EBay waiting to get it and install it, hoping it solves the issue. That is what I am waiting on.

Okay not a problem.