Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My relatively new (2 yr?) Maytag Bravos XL MVWB750Y

Customer Question

Hi! My relatively new (2 yr?) Maytag Bravos XL MVWB750Y top-loading washer started putting a small amount (~ 1 cup) of water on the floor on the left side. Diagnostic codes give only "H93" which isn't listed as a common diagnostic. Connections to both the drain pump and the recirculating pump seem OK. I rodded out the larger hoses attached to both pumps with a wire, and they seem clear. The water appears to be running down the inside of the housing from the upper right near the rear of the housing, at the water softener tray. The water softener tray appears clean (we don't use it, except a large cockroach crawled into it and didn't obviously come out). The housing catch-tray at the bottom at the back is full of water.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The purchase invoice shows Jan 2013 purchase, making it 3 1/2 years old. The model number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on how hard it is. Not necessarily.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can't think of it. I put the testing and diagnostics in my original email. If you could tell me what that diagnostic code means, that would also help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

If I understand you correctly and the dispenser area where you add softener is standing full of water the dispenser outlet under it is clogged and must be accessed from the bottom. You need to lift the top to do this. You raise the top using a putty knife to release clips 6 1/2" in from each side in the front and then raise the top. Just in case there seems to be an additional problem, there is a service bulletin about the issue you are seeing. It applies to model MVWB750YW0 and serial number date codes between: C000–C330. This is the first 4 digits of your serial number. Water can leak out of the left side rear bleach dispenser and the fix is to replace it with number W10187307.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I must have fumbled the explanation. The dispensers are not full of water. I also incorrectly say that it was occuring near the fabric softener dispenser. It is actually occuring near the bleach dispenser (on the left side of the machine).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The water on the inside of the housing is on the LEFT panel near the rear (not the right rear, as I initially reported).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The standing water is in the tray at the bottom of the housing (it's a metal lip on the inside of the housing, between the tub and the housing wall. It is part of the metal housing).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You wrote, "
there is a service bulletin about the issue you are seeing. It applies to model MVWB750YW0 and serial number date codes between: C000–C330. This is the first 4 digits of your serial number. Water can leak out of the left side rear bleach dispenser and the fix is to replace it with number W10187307. "
My serial number is ***** that range, and it could explain the water I'm seeing. I'll try the replacement, and get back to you, after I locate the part. Thanks!

Best wishes.