Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

Refrigererator beeps, Couple weeks, Yes if possible, Freezer

Customer Question

Refrigererator beeps
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Couple weeks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Freezer cold fridge warm
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Change defrost therm Whirlpool gold 07 I believe
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will assist you . What is the model number of your fridge so I can pull up some diagrams?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Your refrigerator is beeping to alert you the temperature is not right. So typically the first things to go out when this happen are your thermistor or clogged coils. I provided the rest of the information that pertains to why your refrigerator temp can fail. If you hear the fan running its not your fan. If the controls on your fridge are working chances are its not the control board but I wanted to make sure to provide as much advice as possible.

The defrost heater assembly turns on a few times throughout the day to melt away any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost heater assembly is defective, frost will continue to accumulate on the evaporator coils, and the coils will become plugged with frost. If the evaporator coils are frosted over, the airflow through the coils will be restricted, causing the refrigerator not to cool. Check the evaporator coils to determine if they are frosted over. If the evaporator coils are frosted over, test each component of the defrost system.

The thermistor monitors the refrigerator temperature and sends the temperature reading to the control board. The control board then regulates power to the compressor and evaporator fan based on the thermistor readings. If the thermistor is defective, the compressor and evaporator fan may not run when necessary, or may run too frequently. To determine if the thermistor is defective, test it with a multimeter. The thermistor resistance should change in conjunction with the refrigerator temperature. If the thermistor resistance does not change, or the thermistor does not have continuity, replace the thermistor.

The evaporator fan motor draws cold air over the evaporator coils and circulates it throughout the freezer. If the evaporator fan is not working, the freezer or refrigerator will not cool adequately. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor..

The air damper control opens and closes to let the proper amount of cold air into the refrigerator compartment. If the damper does not open properly, it won’t let enough cold air into the refrigerator. Check the damper control to determine if it is broken or stuck closed.

The defrost thermostat monitors the temperature of the evaporator coils. When the coils drop below a set temperature, the thermostat contacts close to allow power to flow to the defrost heater during the defrost cycle. In the defrost cycle, the defrost heater melts any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost thermostat is defective, the thermostat contacts will not close. As a result, the thermostat won’t provide power to the defrost heater. To determine if the defrost thermostat is defective, use a multimeter to test it for continuity. If the defrost thermostat does not have continuity when it reaches the low temperature of its operating range, replace it.

The main control board might be defective. However, the control board is very rarely the cause of the problem. Before replacing the control board, first test all of the more commonly defective components. If none of these components are defective, consider replacing the main control board.

If you find this information helpful all I ask is for you to rate with 5 stars at the top. If you have any follow up questions rating does not stop you from getting back to me. I am here to assist you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I was wondering if you had the chance to go over the information I had provided you?