Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

Kenmore dryer model #59289052 will not turn. Rotates 3/4

Customer Question

kenmore dryer model #59289052 will not turn. Rotates 3/4 turn and stops.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 5 years old. serial number yobw54bz700019. It is a stackable version, I don't see any other model number on the unit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not sure what that entails.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's all I can think of at the moment.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you today.

Check the door switch. This is located immediately inside the dryer when you open the door; it regulates the dryer operation by ensuring the door is closed before the dryer is allowed to turn on. If the door switch is broken, your dryer can't tell if the door is open or closed. In this case, the switch must be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no as explained earlier, the drum makes a slow 3/4 turn. If the door switch was broken the drum would not turn at all.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

The drive belt is a very long, slender belt that wraps all the way around the dryer drum, around a tension pulley, and then around the drive motor pulley. Over time, the belt can break from normal use. If the belt is broken, the dryer won’t turn. To quickly determine if the belt is broken, reach into the dryer and turn the drum by hand. If the drum spins very easily, the belt is likely broken. Next, inspect the belt to confirm that it is broken. If the belt is broken, replace it.

The drum bearing supports the rear of the dryer drum. Over time, this bearing wears out. If the drum bearing is worn out, the dryer may not turn properly. To determine if the drum bearing is at fault, remove the dryer belt and try turning the drum by hand. If the drum rotates freely, the drum bearing is not likely worn out. If the drum makes squealing or grinding sounds when turned and/or is hard to turn, check the drum bearing and replace it if necessary.

Part testing

One or more of the drum glides (also called slides) might be worn out. The drum glides are small plastic pieces that support the front of the dryer drum. As the drum rotates, it slides on these plastic pieces. Over time, the drum glides wear out. If the drum glides are worn out, the drum can start binding and put strain on the motor. If this happens, the motor shuts down, preventing the dryer from turning. To determine if the drum glides are worn out, inspect them for wear. If one or more of the glides are worn out, replace all of the glides as a set.

Install help

The drive motor turns the drum and the blower wheel to exhaust the air. First, check the motor to see if it makes a humming noise. If the motor still hums, remove the belt from the motor and check the blower wheel to ensure that it is not obstructed. Next, with the belt removed, try rotating the drum by hand. If the drum does not rotate freely, determine what is causing the drum to bind. If the drum turns freely and the blower wheel is clear of obstructions, the drive motor might be defective. If you suspect the motor is at fault, replace it.

Part testing and install help

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I was wondering if you had a chance to look over the information I have provided you?