John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Have a spectra electric glasstop mod# jbp78w0b1ww. the

Customer Question

have a spectra electric glasstop mod# jbp78w0b1ww. the display and range on indicator lights work, but the oven and the burners stopped working, last night. it did smell as if there was some kind of electrical burning right before it quit and some wires in the back look scorched and the insulation was slightly scorched around the large gauge blue and red wires that go into the back of the oven area (coming up from where the 220 plug is wired into the range). i'm wondering if there are fuses or an overheat protector reset that i need to deal with. thanks. steve
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: i put the model in my last message. it's a ge spectra. don't think it's more than 5 yrs or so.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. already have the back off
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

You have lost the side of the power supply that feeds only the heating elements. Can you post a picture of the damaged wires?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here is a close up of the damaged wires and a larger shot for perspective.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

That is just discoloration, I don't think they are damaged. Can you turn the breaker off, even if it looks okay, and then back on? Does it then heat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
turned the breaker off and back on...still no oven or range function. just the 110 display stuff.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a meter to see if you are getting 240 VAC supply to the range?