Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Would a clogged water filter cause a water leak at the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Would a clogged water filter cause a water leak at the filter seal on my refrig.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It happen this morning without warning. The filter replacement indicator ha been on for sometime
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: My plan was to replace the filter and turn on the water supply and see what happens.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If there is a leak after installation of the new filter, what would that suggest?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

It could if it was really clogged, but it should not. I would change out the filter on the unit and if it still leaks replace the filter head on the refrigerator.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I go ahead and inspect the filter head?

Yes I would check the orings for sure or for any signs of a crack

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like access is pretty easy. Any guidelines or suggestion before I start.

Not much just pull the filter out and there should be 1-2 screws to get it down to remove. Most of them the lines will quick connect at the back of the filter head.