Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

GE PVM1870DM3WW Microwave will not power up. I tested all

Customer Question

GE PVM1870DM3WW Microwave will not power up. I tested all the thermal fuses and the 2 cylinder fuses; had to replace the microwave hood thermostat (open), but still no power. I'm suspect of the main board, but would like to know if the transformer or magnetron could be a cause and tested? Also, the schematics point to the MWO fuse; which one is that (parts diagram: https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/ModelSectionParts/PVM1870DM3WW/1/0/0/0/MICROWAVE)?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

The transformer can certainly cause your unit not to power up. The thermostat and magnetron are for heating so they would not cause for power not to come on. If you are experiencing no power then its either the transformer or the board. Check to see if the transformer is getting resistance. Do you happen to smell burnt wires at all. Typically when a transformer goes out there is an electrical smell. Also try checking to make sure the unit is getting power that its plugged into.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No burnt smell; there is power at the blue/purple wire entering the PCB, so I'm suspecting that's the problem. I do not know what the spec is for power entering the PCB, what should I be looking for?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry something has come up I have to run I will opt out to see if anyone else can help you in the event nobody has picked your question up when I get back I will shoot you the information you are looking for.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Disregard; I've concluded that the PCB is no good and it is not worth replacing so I'm buying a new microwave