Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

I have an amana side by side Distinctions refrigerator and

Customer Question

i have an amana side by side Distinctions refrigerator and the 'overstuffed' freezer is not freezing. I took the lower back panel off to expose some cooling coils, thinking they may have frosted. they appear to be clean. Should I take off the upper back panels and see what may be a problem in that area? that would mean removing the ice cube maker components. whare should I go from here? Please advise. Phil Martowski
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Probably 10 years old. Model DRS2662A-C [or G ]
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: As much as i can. If it's too involved I will have to call the local repair people who are closed today.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: interestingly enough, and perhaps coincidentally, the freezer light went out and was replaced. the cooling issue had started a few weeks ago and is most localized to the door and the upper level.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to try and assist you today. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your unit. So the biggest thing to check when it comes to coils is the back panel of course and then at the bottom behind the back panel. I don't believe you will need to remove your ice maker to check this though. In the event that they are not frosted over either. If they are not the two things you are going to need to check out are under here.

The evaporator fan motor draws air over the evaporator (cooling) coils and circulates it throughout the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Some refrigerators have more than one evaporator fan motor. On refrigerators with only one evaporator, the evaporator is located in the freezer compartment. If the evaporator fan is not working, it will not circulate the cold air to the refrigerator compartment. If this occurs, the freezer may still get cold, while the refrigerator will not get cold. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor.

The temperature control thermostat directs voltage to the compressor, evaporator fan motor, and condenser fan motor (if applicable). If the temperature control thermostat is not working properly, it may prevent the refrigerant system from running. To determine if the thermostat is defective, rotate the thermostat from the lowest setting to the highest setting and listen for a click. If the thermostat clicks, it is not likely defective. If the thermostat does not click, use a multimeter to test the thermostat for continuity. If the temperature control thermostat does not have continuity at any setting, replace it.