Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

There is a Sub-Zero Model 680 in the home I recently

Customer Question

There is a Sub-Zero Model 680 in the home I recently purchased. The vacuum condenser light came on so I followed the instructions to remove the grill and found a very thick, about the thickness of a t-shirt, layer of lint on the condenser. Using a paint brush i removed the lint and vacuumed out the residue and compartment. I then used a compressed air can to blow away any remaining lint from the compressor, the fan blades and the compartment in general. However, the warning light still comes on every two or three days. I shut the unit off, wait a minute or two, turn it back on and the warning light is gone, but comes back on in 2 or 3 days again. The unit is 15 years old. Con you assist?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

The vacuum condenser light is a little deceptive. The error can definitely be caused by a clogged condenser, but that isn't always what causes the error. The error simply means that the compressor has been running for 15 hours straight and the temperature inside the refrigerator or freezer has never been met. If you cleaned the condenser coils and it's still coming back up with the error after 2 or 3 days, it means that you have a sealed system problem. Make sure the fan next to the condenser coils is running to cool the compressor down. Other than that, you'd need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure because you likely have a freon leak. Worst case scenario would be an inefficient compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?