Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE microwave is 9 years old. But, today when we push the

Customer Question

my GE microwave is 9 years old. But, today when we push the start button we hear a soft "click" and it does not start. Instead the timer funs backward to zero. I did turn the power off and back on again but got the same result. It is like "start" gets tripped off. Thanks, Jeff
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: JVM1740DM1cc about 9 hearts old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: will try
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It seems the only way to turn the power off to the microwave is to turn the Main off
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

This means that either one of your door switches are starting to fail or the display board board is bad and will need to be replaced. There are actually 3 door switches for safety reasons and if one fails then you get the microwave counting down but nothing runs and heats. You will need to take the microwave apart to access the door switches. Below is a link to a video on how to test the door switches. Access is probably different, but that's not the point. The point is to show you how to test the switches. Either replace the faulty switch, or replace the control board if all the switches check good.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?