Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Ive got a customer with a Kitchen Aid dishwasher

Customer Question

Ive got a customer with a Kitchen Aid dishwasher KUDD03DTSS10 that complains it wont drain after wash (my guess is drain pump or an obstruction in the drain line) does this unit have a test mode of any kind or do I just have to run through thr cycles and observe?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

First, to test draining you can just start a cycle and then press cancel to cancel the cycle and it'll go into a 2 minute drain cycle---you'll need that to test the drain to see if it's working or not.

So unfortunately you need to uninstall your dishwasher and drain all the water out that you can manually. Remove the drain hose and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's not, then you want to replace that drain hose that comes directly off the drain pump because there is a back flow preventer inside this hose that failed all the time stopping the dishwasher from draining very well or at all. You can try to stick a flat head screwdriver through that 90 degree angle to get the backflow preventer un-stuck if you wanted to try that as well. Sometimes that will get the flap working again.

If the drain hose checks good, then remove the drain pump and look for and debris that may be blocking the drain pump impeller. Put everything back together and re-install the dishwasher to try again. If the dishwasher still doesn't drain, then you'll want to check 120 volts with a multimeter to the drain pump when it should be draining. If you're not getting 120 volts to the drain pump then you need a new control board inside the door. Assuming you are getting 120 volts, your drain pump would just need to be ordered and replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In reading your response It assumes the dishwasher still has water standing in it ? If not I should start and fill and then hit cancel?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

That is correct yes. But if the dishwasher isn't draining then it should have water in it...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a two drawer Dishwasher and the top drawer has water standing in it.....Ive tried your "start/Resume" and nothing happens other thab the light at start comes on and when I hit cancel the light goes off and the cancel button light comes on...the entire time it has a "rinse aid low LED is on????? any thoughts
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

I apologize I didn't see it was a 2 drawer dishwasher I'll opt out as drain issues on these units should really be handled by a technician on site. Drain issues are actually the most complicated thing to correct on these units.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tyler...Im a Technician in training lol What is my next step here sir?