John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My GE Refrig side-by-side stopped freezing last night, 10

Customer Question

My GE Refrig side-by-side stopped freezing last night
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 10 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Right now yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The fan is going fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of of the refrigerator section. The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?