Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool duet sport. The power button does not

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool duet sport. The power button does not work.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Can't speak to the age. Less than 5 years, I guess. Model is WFW8400TW02
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Ideally, yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Last night the start button wouldn't work. It was broken underneath. I removed the control panel and removed the broken button. I got the washer to start, but now the power button will not turn on the washer.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

This issue can be caused by 2 differen't parts, but unfortunately they are both control boards and not cheap (each about $200 minimum). To determine which part has failed, you need to pull the washer forward and remove the 2 or 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. Now you can access the main control board (the CCU) in the front right corner of the washer. You will need to unplug the washer and then disconnect terminal MI3 from the control board. Then plug the washer back in and see if the control panel will turn on with the MI3 terminal dis-connected. If it does, then you need to replace the motor control board (MCU) mounted to the floor below the tub. Otherwise, you'll need to order and replace the interface control board if it still won't turn on with the MI3 connection disconnected.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?