Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We purchased a SS Whirlpool Refrigerator (model# GZ25FSRXYY0

Customer Question

We purchased a SS Whirlpool Refrigerator (model# ***** sewrial: K13812495). There is ice buildup below the bottom pullout freezer compartment, which occasionally melts onto pour wood floor. How do we rectify this issue?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased in October 2011
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends if we can figure out how to remove the bottom freezer trays to even look at the ice.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It does not appear to be a leak from anywhere, I pulled out the unit and checked connections at the back of the unit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

OK so I have looked over your question and thank you for using this service. Now onto your problem. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.