Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My ice maker makes a loud intermittent noise that only stops

Customer Question

Hi, Yes, my ice maker makes a loud intermittent noise that only stops when I turn off the water to the fridge
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: GE PDS22MISBCC, About 8 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm also noticing that the ice will partially meltand re freeze
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Is the noise coming from the inside of the freezer (ice maker area) or the area on the outside of the cabinet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If you look at the ice maker, there are "fingers" that run down the center of the ice maker. Which direction are they pointing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Left to right
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Is there ice in the maker waiting to be dumped now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've had it off for a few months
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, it sounds like it is unable to fill with water, causing the buzzing sound you hear as it tries to fill. Since it is not filling with water, it will cycle pretty quickly. Is the water dispenser still working?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just turned it back to see. At this point I don't know
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Well, if the dispenser works, we know the water supply to the valve is good and the filter path is clear. So, that would likely indicate that the water inlet valve is faulty. The valve is mounted on the back of the cabinet. I suspect it will need to be replaced but let me know if the water dispenser does not operate.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If the water dispenser dose not operate, then what do I need to do?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is the water valve something that I can replace on my own?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If the dispenser does not operate (the one in the refrigerator where glasses are filled), then the water supply may be off or the filter plugged. The valve is very easy to replace, it is mounted on the back of the cabinet and is easily accessed by pulling the refrigerator out.