Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE compactor, model GCG1580POSS, start running as soon as

Customer Question

GE compactor, model GCG1580POSS, start running as soon as the drawer is closed. After completing the cycle it continues to run with a loud, rhythmic thumping sound. At this point the drawer may be opened which turns the machine off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

If the ram keeps thumping at the top, it means that there is a faulty directional switch or that bottom right start switch hit by the foot pedal. Make sure that bottom right switch isn't being held and if not then replace the directional switch at the top.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

The bottom switch seems ok. I have the unit out from under the counter and the drawer is removed. Where/how do I locate the directional switch?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Remove the top sheet metal panel and along the front of the compactor behind the control panel area there is a directional switch which gets triggered from the compactor which is what tells the unit when it's in the up position. Below is a link to the switch so you know what you're looking for.

CLICK HERE to see switch

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I have opened the unit and detached the directional switch from it's mounting so I can operate it manually. With it, I can cause the ram to extend, retract, and stop. It seems to be working normally.

Except, after 2 or 3 operations the entire unit goes dead, nothing works. After a few minutes it becomes operational again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

ok so it sounds like the bottom right switch is just failing then because it thinks you are holding it the entire time which is the only other reason the compactor will continue going up and banging the top after hitting the directional switch. The switch has been re-designed so below is a link to the kit you need to install.

CLICK HERE for kit

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

OK, I have rated you excellent. How do I get you paid?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Once you rate me by selecting one of the stars at the top of the screen that will be taken care of but it doesn't appear the rating has be completed yet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

It appears that rating/reply is an either/or choice. I will go back and do it again when we are done. We are not yet.

Although I only ran the unit for 3-5 seconds, half a dozen times the motor has gotten hot. We bought this home, with the compactor, 6 month ago. The previous own left a new motor, in the box, behind, but I don't remember his explanation. It has been working for us until now.

I do not have the switch problem figured out yet but I think the motor should be replaced. Since I have one I will go ahead and install it, Unless you can think of a reason why the control problem could lead to overheating the motor, aside from not being able to turn itself off. I have too many other irons in the fire at the moment to mess with it now. I am going to re-assemble it so I don't loose my place or the parts, and change the motor later. I will probably try to get back to you for further help then. Thank you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

It's not an either/choice. You can continue to reply after rating me as the question never closes.

I can't think of why the motor would overheat unless it's doing it when it keeps thumping at the top so you can definitely replace the motor.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?