Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have a whirlpool dishwasher. here lately we have been

Customer Question

have a whirlpool dishwasher. here lately we have been getting soapy water coming out the kitchen faucet sink. can this water be coming from the dishwasher?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is about 5 years old. the model number is ***** gold series.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: can a valve not be fully closing? and can a soap be causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

So most likely the soapy water wouldn't be coming rom the dishwasher, but if it were then it means that the drain under your sink or the disposal under your sink are backing up. The drain hose from the dishwasher connects to either the garbage disposal or a stand pipe below the sink. Take a look to see what the drain hose is connected to and if it's connected to the disposal then the only way water would back up into the sink would be if the disposal is getting clogged and it's backing up through the bottom drain funnel in your sink. If the drain hose goes to a stand pipe there is no way that this would be caused by the dishwasher. Lastly, if the drain hose from the dishwasher goes up to an air gap next to the faucet and then back down into the disposal, then water would have to come out that air gap which means that the hose between the disposal and air gap is either clogging/kinked or the air gap needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?