Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

I bought a whirlpool refrigerator around June 8 2015, and it

Customer Question

I bought a whirlpool refrigerator around June 8 2015, and it is not working properly, neither the refrigerator nor the freezer' I don't know what is cousing that? Arturo Briones
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 6.5
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: 4.9
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Model #WRT311fzdw00
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you tonight. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your fridge. When you say its not working properly what exactly is it not doing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the refrigerator is not cooling the freezer is not freezing.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

Do you hear the compressor running in the back. It will sort of sound like a fan?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

There are a number of things that can cause a fridge/freezer not to cool.

The condenser coils are usually located under the refrigerator. They dissipate heat as refrigerant passes through them. If the condenser coils are dirty, they won’t dissipate the heat effectively. As debris builds up on the coils, the refrigerator becomes less efficient, causing the refrigerator to work harder to cool down. If the coils are significantly dirty, the refrigerator will not be able to maintain the proper temperature. Check the condenser coils to determine if they are dirty—if the condenser coils are dirty, clean them.

The evaporator fan motor draws air over the evaporator (cooling) coils and circulates it throughout the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Some refrigerators have more than one evaporator fan motor. On refrigerators with only one evaporator, the evaporator is located in the freezer compartment. If the evaporator fan is not working, it will not circulate the cold air to the refrigerator compartment. If this occurs, the freezer may still get cold, while the refrigerator will not get cold. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Evaporator-Fan-Motor/WP2315539/1372146?modelNumber=WRT311FZDW00&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b5d1931910

The condenser fan motor draws air though the condenser coils and over the compressor. If the condenser fan motor is not working properly, the refrigerator won’t cool properly. To determine if the fan motor is defective, first check the fan blade for obstructions. Next, try turning the fan motor blade by hand. If the blade does not spin freely, replace the condenser fan motor. If no obstructions are present and the fan blade spins freely, use a multimeter to test the fan motor for continuity. If the condenser fan motor does not have continuity, replace it.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Condenser-Fan-Motor/WP2188875/4431169?modelNumber=WRT311FZDW00&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b5d1931910

The start relay works in conjunction with the start winding to start the compressor. If the start relay is defective, the compressor may sometimes fail to run or may not run at all. As a result, the refrigerator will not be cold enough. To determine if the start relay is defective, use a multimeter to test it for continuity between the run and start terminal sockets. If the start relay does not have continuity between the run and start terminal sockets, replace it. In addition, if the start relay has a burnt odor, replace it.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Start-Relay/WPW10448874/2312074?modelNumber=WRT311FZDW00&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b5d1931910

Install help

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/RepairHelpVideoLayer?videoIdCSV=2070&hpl=true

The compressor is a motor which compresses the refrigerant and circulates the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser coils. If the compressor is not working, the refrigerator won’t cool. However, this isn’t usually the case. Before replacing the compressor, first check all of the more commonly defective components. If all of the other components are working properly, use a multimeter to test the compressor for continuity. If the compressor does not have continuity, replace it.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Compressor/WPW10507886/2684651?modelNumber=WRT311FZDW00&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b5d1931910

These are all the parts to your unit which control the cooling aspect of your unit. If you have found my information helpful please rate with 5 stars at the top. If you have any follow up questions please feel free to reach out to me here on this thread. Rating does not stop you from getting back with me.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

One more possibility is The main control board might be defective. However, this is almost never the cause. Before replacing the main control board, test all of more commonly defective parts. If none of the other components are defective, consider replacing the main control board.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Main-Control-Board/WPW10352689/2117820?modelNumber=WRT311FZDW00&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b5d1931910