Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My magic chef fridge is not defrosting! The freezer is

Customer Question

My magic chef fridge is not defrosting! The freezer is working fine but it's freezing everything in the fridge
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Magic Chef is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: McBr1020w
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It look easy enough to replace the timer which I think it's the problem but I already have the thermostat at hand. Just could figure out how to replace it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope. Just me, trying not to buy a new apt fridge for my tenants
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I assume you know my question
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is it building frost in the freezer and then losing cooling or is it just running too long and over-cooling and freezing everything?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No frost just freezing everything in the refrigerator. We have adjusted the temps, 4 for freezer 1 for fridge and nothing
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

So that issue is not one with the defrost circuit, it is a control problem. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The part that turns the compressor on and off is the thermostat control. It is what is making your refrigerator freeze everything and the part that will need to be replaced and is available below.

CLICK HERE

If there was a problem with the defrost circuit, it would have the opposite effect, Frost would build on the freezer coil and block air flow, making the refrigerator warmer. Once tthe thermostat control is replaced, you should have no more trouble with the food freezing!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I have that part so I willnresearch how to replay
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Excellent! Once you remove the knob, you will have access to the mounting screws. Once those are taken out, the thermostat body will pull out for the wires to disconnect. Be sure to unplug the refrigerator and route the flexible capillary tube the exact same way as you remove it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bye
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Take care, thank you!