Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

Our Samsung refrigerator model #RS261MDBP is not cooling or

Customer Question

Our Samsung refrigerator model #RS261MDBP is not cooling or freezing. The temp in the fridge is 63 and the freezer temp is 42. I accidentally got something stuck in the freezer door overnight on Friday night and we cleaned up the melted water, etc. and neither the fridge or freezer has been cooling since. It's SO strange!!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We got it 6 years ago this coming Nov. when we moved into our newly built house. The model # is RS261MDBP.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what needs to be done.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's all I know about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to try and assist you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have advice for us?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

The condenser coils are usually located under the refrigerator. They dissipate heat as refrigerant passes through them. If the condenser coils are dirty, they won’t dissipate the heat effectively. As debris builds up on the coils, the refrigerator becomes less efficient, causing the refrigerator to work harder to cool down. If the coils are significantly dirty, the refrigerator will not be able to maintain the proper temperature. Check the condenser coils to determine if they are dirty—if the condenser coils are dirty, clean them.

The evaporator fan motor draws air over the evaporator (cooling) coils and circulates it throughout the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Some refrigerators have more than one evaporator fan motor. On refrigerators with only one evaporator, the evaporator is located in the freezer compartment. If the evaporator fan is not working, it will not circulate the cold air to the refrigerator compartment. If this occurs, the freezer may still get cold, while the refrigerator will not get cold. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor.

The start relay works in conjunction with the start winding to start the compressor. If the start relay is defective, the compressor may sometimes fail to run or may not run at all. As a result, the refrigerator will not be cold enough. To determine if the start relay is defective, use a multimeter to test it for continuity between the run and start terminal sockets. If the start relay does not have continuity between the run and start terminal sockets, replace it. In addition, if the start relay has a burnt odor, replace it.

The compressor is a motor which compresses the refrigerant and circulates the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser coils. If the compressor is not working, the refrigerator won’t cool. However, this isn’t usually the case. Before replacing the compressor, first check all of the more commonly defective components. If all of the other components are working properly, use a multimeter to test the compressor for continuity. If the compressor does not have continuity, replace it.

If you find this information helpful please rate with 5 stars at the top. If you have any follow up questions I am here to assist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I searched the web yesterday and found this suggestion on "Remove and Replace Do It Yourself Projects." This is what they suggested we do:How to Manually defrost your freezer/fridge:
Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet.
Take out all the food items in the freezer and fridge.
Open the freezer and refrigerator doors.
Wait 24 hours to let the freezer and refrigerator completely defrost.
After 24 hours, close ALL doors on the refrigerator.
Plug the refrigerator back into power.
Let the refrigerator run for 6 hours.
The freezer/refrigerator should be back to normal and problem solved.And...our fridge and freezer are working normally now after doing this. So...the suggestions you gave us were not beneficial, or what we needed, to fix our problem. As I had stated, we'd accidentally left the freezer door open overnight and neither the freezer or fridge were cooling properly the next day.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I can have this matter closed for you then. I apologize my advice did not work for you and that you were able to get it solved. I did not originally see that you had left the door open accidentally or I would have suggested this as well. I am however glad that everything is back to normal though. I will have this matter closed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i stated the door was left open. We shouldn't have to pay the $24 (only $5).