Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Got a sponge? :^) not too. I think I have a sump pump

Customer Question

got a sponge? :^)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: not too long. I think I have a sump pump problem in my dishwasher
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: Bosch SHX68E05UC didn't know there was one
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i don't know. depends if i can find out how to take the service panel off from the pump
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: r u a real person or just a program?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Appliance Technician. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: ur answers r lightning fast
JA: Thank you.
Customer: the utube vids all show the older models where the screen removed allowed immediate access to the torx screw covering the impeller. not so with mine
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

In the attached picture, number 2 is the cover over the drain pump impeller. Do you see that part in your model?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mine is similar.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Did you remove that cover to inspect the impeller area for obstructions? Is it just not draining well?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did. There was nothing visually apparent. I could see the white star pattern impeller blades.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Great, nice job! How is the drain hose connected to the home's plumbing? Does it go through an air gap up by the sink?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am trying to get to the impeller to see if there are obstructions behind it. What I do NOT have is the following...
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

If the impeller is not visibly obstructed, the issue is likely that the drain path from the pump outlet to the connection to the home's drain is obstructed or the impeller is loose on the motor shaft and not able to pump. Can you remove the drain hose from the connection at the home's plumbing to look for obstructions?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is attached to the sink drain directly above the garbage disposal. It has already been removed from that end. Unfortunately, getting to the other end of the hose is proving to be a problem due to the fact that the end is not exposed. I have removed buildup in the hose by flushing it multiple times. We are seeing some white flakes in the water. my assumption is that these are scrapings from the impeller.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Does the drain pump rattle and sound noisy when it runs?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, but the entire unit was always quite quiet so I don't know if that would be readily apparent.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. I suspect there is an issue with the pump or connection at the pump. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

There is a non return valve and the hose connection that is suspect, see the attached pages. The front panel and left side panel as well as the base that will need to be removed to access these components. This model is not easy to access, there is quite a bit of disassembly required.

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I suspect you will find the issue at the drain hose/non return valve connection.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how do i get the underside of the dishwasher apart in order to examine the out port? the pics u provided would be helpful if I could get there.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I will prepare the information for you, it will take a bit because there are many steps. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The unit needs to be pulled out and the side panels removed (see attached pictures). Once the sides are removed, release the tabs that secure the base to the tub (see attached pages). The entire dishwasher will come out of the plastic base.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the order of the pictures is BDD6 first, then 8C06, and finally 7CE7, correct?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Correct, the side panels come off first, then release the tabs, then pull the unit from the base.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this is going to take me a bit, kelly. if u go offline, will u automatically hand me off to someone else?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

If I am not here, it does not go back up for others to see, no. I will be here a lot of the day but will be taking some time off a bit later.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
kelly, is the rinsing tank the thin rectangular translucent plastic on the (from the front...) left side of the dishwasher?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Yes, left side of the dishwasher where the hoses all connect.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is there another pic before 8C06? I do not see the flanges.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I will see if another may be able to help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
well, part of my confusion is the translucent tank on the left side. I think it might NOT be the rinsing tank. I found the flanges on both sides of the back of the unit. Now I need to understand where 8C06 pic 2 is located.