Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I bought a used fridge, moved it to my home, now it doesn't

Customer Question

I bought a used fridge, moved it to my home, now it doesn't cool much. Help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If it was laid down for moving, it is likely not worth repairing at this point. Oil gets drawn through the coolant lines and plugs it up. Was it laid down when moved?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was transported vertically but tilted close to horizontal when we carried it. The move took a couple hours. We let it sit for 4 hours before plugging it in. The freezer got to 42 degrees and the fridge got to 63 degrees over the next 4-6 hours. The condenser didn't feel very warm. I've left it unplugged for about 20 hours now. It was tilted less than 10 minutes total. It is only 5 years old. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If it was only tilted, it was not damaged by the move. It sounds like maybe a leak has developed in the sealed system. Do you feel any oil on the connections in the tubing by the compressor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sign of oil on the tubing by compressor. I've restarted it and will see how cool it gets in the next 24 hours. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If you can, remove the rear panel from inside the freezer to get a look at the evaporator coil's frost pattern. If cooling is not as it should be, please let me know what you find with that frost pattern.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I left it on overnight, and it was down to 20 and 36 in the freezer and fridge after about 9-10 hours (I have it set for 6 and 36 degrees). Should the freezer have gotten colder in that time? I think it is still dropping, so maybe it's working properly. I just expected it to cool down faster. If it's not cool enough when I get home from work, I'll check the evap coil frost pattern, and let you know. Thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

It should have reached well below freezing in just a few hours. I suspect a low refrigerant level. Let me know on the frost pattern on that coil, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I got home from work, after running it for roughly 20 hours, the freezer temp was 6 and the fridge temp was 36, both right on the desired setting. The system had cycled off and was resting. So I thought everything's good. I came back to put stuff in the fridge and the freezer temp was up to 17 and the system is running again. I looked at the frost pattern. There is frost on the upper 1-2 inches of the evap coil, and the bottom 8-10 inches is clear. I assume that isn't good? Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

You are correct, that is not good. There is a leak and the refrigerant level is low. This type of repair is one that will require specialized tools and training. You can expect it to cost around $350 + parts to have it professionally repaired.