John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I am trying to install part WR55X11192 (dispenser control

Customer Question

I am trying to install part WR55X11192 (dispenser control board) in GE built in refrigerator ziss480driss and I can't determine how to get the dispenser trim off to install it - not sure if I need to remove the entire back of the door or if the trim comes off some way
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: ziss480driss - 2006
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

On the stainless models, the front panel does need to be removed. See the attached page. Can you get the front off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The attached page is for an ice maker inside the refrigerator. I am trying to replace the dispenser control board - this is the part on the front of the refrigerator that you press buttons on to get water or ice. I see online most refrigerators you simply snap the black trim off to get to this part - but with this built-in ge model the black trim appears to be behind the stainless steel so I cannot seem to get it off. I am wondering if I have to remove the entire stainless steel from the door.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
pic attached
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The instructions are on the left side of the page I sent you, the written text. The front panel must be removed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When you say front panel - do you mean the entire stainless steel needs to be pulled off the door? I don't believe the black trim panel can be removed without doing this.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, the entire panel must be removed. There are screws on the top, bottom and hinge side of the panel.