Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My advantium stopped working, the board and switches are

Customer Question

my advantium stopped working , the board and switches are fine, just not activating the oven
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: GE Advantium 120, 3 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: its on a 50 hz cylce
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to try and assist you today. Do you happen to have the model number of your unit?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for the late response, I was away from the unit. The model number ZSC1201NSS01
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

You are fine I will look this up for you now.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

When you say its not working but the boards and switches are fine what exactly do you mean? Is it not turning on or just not working?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It lights up , the clock sets, the features work but when you start the oven, the clocks count down but the oven does not get going
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Ok so that sounds like it could possibly be a heating element problem. So just to clarify the oven itself is the only thing acting up and its not heating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pretty much, i have not detected any other issues
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Ok one second while I check into this I will be right back with you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Microwave-Diode/WB27X10037/769835?modelNumber=ZSC1201NSS01&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a6b3d863790

The diode converts the A/C power output of the transformer to D/C, doubling the voltage to nearly 5,000 volts. This high voltage powers the magnetron to heat the food. If the diode burns out, the magnetron won’t receive enough voltage to operate, preventing the microwave from heating. When the diode fails, it is often visibly burned out. Inspect the diode and if the diode is burned out, replace it. If inspecting the diode proves inconclusive, test it with a multimeter that uses a 9-volt battery or put a 9-volt battery in series with the diode. When the leads are reversed, the diode should only have continuity in one direction. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the diode.)

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Microwave-Magnetron/WB27X26081/4449818?modelNumber=ZSC1201NSS01&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a6b3d863790

The magnetron uses high voltage, high current DC power to generate the microwave frequency that cooks the food. If the magnetron burns out, the microwave won’t heat. The magnetron is not repairable—if the magnetron is burned out, you must replace it. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the magnetron.)

So typically when your unit stops heating up these are the two causes. I am not sure if this is something you are wanting to do yourself or not. The diode is not a big deal to replace but the megnetron can become a little tricky and require special tools sometimes.

Either way I hope that you find this information helpful and are willing to rate with 5 stars at the top. If you have any follow up questions at all I am here to assist. Feel free to reach back out to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, I will check the diode and the magnetron
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good. Those are the only things that control your unit for heating so it has to be one or the other since everything else is working. I certainly hope you have found my information helpful and if you have please rate with 5 stars so I am credited for my time. I am also here if you need me. Rating does not stop you from following up with me.