Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Our Whirlpool refrigerator Model EB9SHKXVQOZ is not cooling

Customer Question

Our Whirlpool refrigerator Model EB9SHKXVQOZ is not cooling properly, even though we have it turned up to 7, the maximum. The freezer part seems to be functioning fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

In the rear back of the refrigerator section you will see the semicircle area where the air comes out from the freezer. If the fan is running in the freezer there should be air coming out the slots. Can you feel any air?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I can't feel any air, and I don't want to switch to a live call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I lost the password ***** was sent before I could get it down.

Okay, In the the semicircle area, use a small screwdriver to pry up on the bottom of the center part with the slots and pull it off. With the louver removed you will see two screws down a long slot. After removing the screw you can pull off the air door housing. Now you will see the air door and it is released by pushing out on the tabs one on each side. If it is not blocked or jammed you will need to replace it. Disconnect the wiring and replace it. Until the air door comes you could prop the door open part way so air comes out but food might freeze since there is no way to regulate temperature without a good door.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
While we digest your answer we can report that the freezer motor is working very hard and the vent in the freezer is freezing over.

Are you saying the back wall of the freezer has thick heavy white frost?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We pried off the cover and saw the door, which was open, but we didn't try to unscrew the rest of it. There is no way we can replace the wiring on a Saturday. We will have to call a technician to come to the house.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The computer is on a different floor from the refrigerator so we have to run back and forth. But it appears the repair is beyond us.

If the air door is open it is not the problem. If you have heavy frost in the freezer it is a defrost problem. Most likely a bad defrost thermostat in the back of the freezer. The hardest part is removing the freezer basket the be able to remove the rear wall for testing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is heavy white frost on the back of the freezer. My wife turned the setting down to zero to see if it will defrost.

That won't help. It tries to defrost based on how long it runs. If the frost is heavy you will need a repair.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, we'll turn it back up and hope that it can be repaired soon. I don't suppose this is possible on a weekend.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you able to tell us repair places in Providence, RI, or do I look in another place on the computer?

I can see who does Whirlpool in your area if you give your zip code.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Another thing that happens occasionally (not today) is that water comes out from the refrigerator onto the floor.Our zip code is 02906

The water on the floor is a clogged drain. They can fix that too. An upgrade drain trap may be put on no charge for the part.D&S is at(###) ###-####or Allstate Appliance Service,(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess this is all we can do now. So I will do the rating.Is there going to be a record of this conversation somewhere?

This record is saved, yes.

Did you call for service? How did it go?

I see you never rated me. Is everything okay?