Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

No idea i have a LFX31925ST and it is not cooling in freezer

Customer Question

no idea i have a LFX31925ST and it is not cooling in freezer or frig. The compressor runs and after awhile a very faint buzz is heard from it and it kicks off. it keeps repeating this cycle. the freezer fan does not run but the frig fan runs when you close the door. if i put it in test mode 1 all fans run. i have no error codes on the display but i have a green led blinking on pcb on 2 times off on 2 times repeat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The main electronic control has issues. It is probably an issue with the voltage to the compressor, explaining why the compressor is not starting. See the attached page. Unplug the refrigerator for 15 minutes, any change when plugged back in?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Last night it started getting warm and the freezer fan wasnt running. I put it in test mode 1 and 2 and the fans ran. i noticed the compressor was hot, the condenser fan is running normally. the refrigerator fan is running when opening and closing the door. i unplugged it and plugged it back in last night. woke up this morning the one bottle of water I left in it was not cold. i noticed the green led light was flashing twice then off then flash twice again so I assume that means the piston overrun error based on the manual? I left it unplugged and I am currently at work I was going to look at it again when I get home. Like i said you here it trying to run and it sounds like it builds up and cuts off( the slight buzzing noise near the compressor) and it keeps repeating this process every couple minutes. by main electronic control do you mean the PCB? I assume you are familiar with the lg products.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Yes, the PCB that you pressed the button on to enter the test mode. It may be a compressor start device or the compressor has failed, too, but with the two flash error code, it is suspect. Can you measure voltage to the compressor when you get home to see if it is getting the full voltage from the board?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have the service manual and wiring diagram on the back of the fridge. What wires on the diagram am I checking at the compressor and what voltage should I be looking for?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

See page 63 of the manual, it is attached. The pages 64 and beyond will also show how to perform more testing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just trying to be prepared for when I get home and you may not be available. on page 64 it states two cases for the 2 blink led warning. I would be case 1 and not 2 since I do not have an intermitently working compressor?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

That is correct, most likely an issue with the PCB or perhaps the inverter, but I suspect the main PCB.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we are expecting voltage to be weak out of the board to the compressor. sorry to be asking so much but why is the freezer fan not running then? does it need compressor running to turn on fan like a safety logic kind of thing?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The freezer fan won't run until the evaporator thermistor gets cold. That way it does not circulate warm air. So, if it the compressor is not starting, it won't get cool and the fan will not run.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
alright thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

You bet, thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I plugged it in and checked the voltage as outlined on page 63 of manual. On initial start it was 10 volts by the ten minute mark it climbed to around 56 volts. As the voltage went up from there so did the slight buzz noise, once it hit 89-100 volt range the compressor shut off and the voltage went to zero and the led light started to blink 2 times then off 2 times then off. The voltage climbed again and repeated this again. All this time the refrigerator fan ran from the get go, the freezer fan did nothing. I hit the test button and got into mode 1 all the fans ran but the compressor voltage at the power and comm pin on the board never went higher than 56 volts. I unplugged the frig for a minute to get out of test mode and plugged back in, now both fans are running and the voltage does not go past 56 again. the compressor is not increasing in voltage to make it cut out like before nor is the frig getting cold.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like that PCB is faulty.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i did the test on page 61 and I got 201 volts would it still be pcb?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

That is the inverter board test. I suspect the main board is faulty, coinciding with the built in diagnostics fault it is displaying.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ordered part from link provided will update once they ship me the part. It is going to be the 14th.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Sorry if you got an automated message, I have no control over those. Any message from me is in this thread.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got the new pcb in the voltage to compressor is 80 volts and all the frig and freezer fans are running. Its been 1 1/2 hours no flashing led light yet but the frig is not getting cooler at all.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is the compressor running? Is the freezer getting cold yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
compressor is running nothing is getting cold
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the part on the lower right side of the unit with the big black canister and copper lines going to it. You can feel the motor running when you put your hand on it. The sound of it stays steady and its not cutting off like before.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry lower left side standing behind it
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hmm, that is not good. It sounds like the issue is sealed system related, like a low refrigerant level. No cooling at all in the freezer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no none at all so far
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
been two hours now
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I suspect there is a problem with the refrigeration system. It should be cooling by now. You got the electrical issue solved but this issue is much worse and one that you will need to call for professional service for. It requires specialized tools and training as well as a federal license to handle the refrigerant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
new board going to void lg sealed system warranty we have?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i mean should we install old board and do smart diagnosis over the phone with lg? how do we proceed with them?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

No, it won't affect the sealed system warranty at all.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

They will schedule a call and have a technician out to diagnose it. You will need to use an LG Authorized Service Agent so be sure to schedule with LG.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do we do? call and do smart diagnosis with new board? i doubt it has any codes stored or just call lg and say its not cooling?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Yes, just tell them it is not cooling at all but the compressor is running. They may walk you through some questions but they will schedule a call for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Daum
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry wrong window disregard
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok got three local technicians lg certified i did the smart diagnosis over the phone with lg which it made a bunch of noises that sounded like an old modem and the new board they said it pointed them to a compressor issue. Should I install the old board with the piston overrun error or leave the new one in? Chance of both compressor and pcb bad?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Well, you have proven the old board is faulty, so I would leave the new one in but unplug the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if I can help with anything else, thank you!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!