John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Have a six year old GE CONV/MW - JVM1790SK01, I noted above

Customer Question

Have a six year old GE CONV/MW - JVM1790SK01
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I noted above it is 6 yrs old - installed in April of 2010 and I showed the complete model number
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I already have it pulled apart. SmartBoard and key panel in my hand
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Trying to figure out why it doesn't work. My wife was defrosting with it and then turned on the over the range light and the entire unit went out. I checked the bulb and fuse and had continuity but replaced both to be sure. Still not working. I unplugged it to replace those two components. Checked breaker still no display and no function
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer give me just a moment while I pull up your manual.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I separated the smart board from the key panel, I used the wiring diagram inside the unit. It notes to check continuity on different combinations on the end of the ribbon connector (1 through 11) between the key panel and smart board. I don't get continuity with any of the combinations noted
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are also three TCO's in the front opening behind the key panel. I checked for continuity on those three and only get it across the terminals on one unit
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

So it honestly sounds to me like the main control board may be out.

The main control board might be defective. However, this is rarely the case. Control boards are often misdiagnosed—check all of the more commonly defective parts. If you have determined that all of the other components are working properly,replace the main control board. (Caution: The microwave oven can store thousands of volts of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the main control board.)

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Have you had a moment to look over the information I provided you?