Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Kitchenaid side-by side built in that has gotten

Customer Question

We have a Kitchenaid side-by side built in that has gotten really noisy. It seems to be confined to the freeer section and is somewhat of a rattling sound. Is this repairable? The unit is about 17 years old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

If the noise is definitely coming form the freezer section then the only thing that can cause the noise is the evaporator fan motor behind the back panel inside the freezer. You'd have to remove the back panel inside the freezer starting from the bottom and working your way up until you see the fan. If you see ice or frost build up then thaw it out with a hair dryer but other than that if you don't see anything unusual just replace the fan motor. The bearings tend to get wobbly over time and that creates a lot of shaking and vibration which makes them noisy. Regardless, its definitely a repairable issue and relatively inexpensive at probably $150-200 with parts, trip and labor. For a built-in unit I think it would certainly be worth repairing.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?